10 Vital Questions to Ask a Realtor
Before You Sign Anything!
You Deserve World Class Service - Learn How to Interview the REALTOR®
1. How many years have you been in the real estate business? How many years have you been in the business here in North County?
2. How many different offices have you worked in? How long were you working at each office? Why did you move?
3. How far back can you document your closed real estate transactions in the Multiple Listing Service? What is that number? How many of the closed transactions were Listings - representing sellers? How many were buyer represented transactions?
4. What is the difference between a Realtor and a Real Estate Agent? Are you a Realtor?
5. Who will I be communicating with from the beginning and through to the end of the transaction? Will I be working with you exclusively or do you have a team? (If a team) How many others will I be communicating with? How often will I be communicating with them vs. you? Can you share their qualifications with me?
6. What are some of the things that can go wrong in a Real Estate Transaction? How do you prevent them from happening? What about the buyer’s deposit?
7. Have you ever been involved in litigation surrounding one of your real estate transactions? If so - how many times? What were the issues involved and what was the result for your client?
8. What percentage of your business is generated from referrals and repeat customers? Why is this important?
9. What is the average market time for your listings sold over the last 5 years? What is your average sale to list price ratio for these listings?
10. Since buyers typically search the Internet for Listings, and since most Realtors & Agents show each other’s Listings when posted in the MLS, why should I List my home with you instead a Discount Broker?
---- Mark's QUALIFICATIONS ----
Mark has been a successful North San Diego County REALTOR®since 1989. In 2014, after an award winning 24-year career at Realty Executives, Mark made the move to Realty One Group winning Platinum, Gold, and Silver Awards in each of the 5 years he was part of that company. Mark was recruited by HOMESMART in 2019 which is now ranked as the 5thlargest Nationwide Brokerage franchise (2019 Transactional Volume) by Real Trends. HOMESMART Realty West has offices Countywide. Their 400 agent strong Carlsbad branch provides Mark’s clients with outstanding staff support and offers technological & marketing advantages that are simply unmatched in the North County Real Estate Industry.
Mark has strong beliefs about the value of personally keeping his clients well educated and well informed. He’s avoided the team concept - preferring to work one-to-one with his clients throughout the home buying or selling process. Mark believes his solo-agent approach insures his clients are always making informed decisions which is vital when it comes to successfully navigating a Real Estate transaction. Mark is also a published Author. In 2015 Mark co-authored: The Art of Buying and Selling California Real Estate, now available at Amazon.com
As a Real Estate Practitioner, Mark operates primarily like a full-time consultant while striving to build long-term relationships with his clients. Most of Mark’s past clients have come to rely on him for years. Perhaps it’s the care and concern Mark continues to demonstrate for his clients that made him the number oneindependent solo agent at Realty Executives for 15 straight years (1998-2013) and kept him in the top-three production positions while at Realty One Group (2013-2018).
Over the last 20 years 82% of Mark's sales volume has been generated from repeat business or referrals coming from his past clients. That trend continues today. Mark credits his success to having consistently earned the trust of his customers. Mark says: "I remain truly grateful to my past clients - by sending their referrals my way I’m no longer forced to spend valuable time promoting myself - instead, I get to focus the majority of my time on what matters most - serving the needs of my Clients and insuring their Families are well taken care of”
Mark’s Numbers – Last 20 Years
Total Transactions: (07/01/99 - 06/30/19) = 516
Sellers Represented Transactions (Listings Sold) = 320
Buyer Represented Transactions (Buyer Closings) = 196
Average Sale to List Price Ratio 1999 - 2013: Listings Sold = 98.53%
Average Sale to List Price Ratio 2014 - 2019: Listings Sold = 99.94%
Average Market Time 1999 - 2014: Listings Sold = 23 Days on Market
Average Market Time 2014 - 2019: Listings Sold = 10 Days on Market
LEGAL: Total Number of Claims / Mediations / Arbitrations / Litigations = ZERO
Source: CALIFORNIA REGIONAL MLS - Mark Hoadley’s Closed Transactions from 07/01/1999 - 06/30/2019